People who suffered from stroke may experience any of the following:
- Weakness or paralysis on one side of their body. The weakness (hemiparesis) and paralysis (hemiplegia) may even affect the whole arm or leg opposite of the damaged brain during stroke.
- There is stiff and painful muscle spasms
- Stroke patients find it hard to balance and coordinate their limbs
- Stroke patients develop problems in language. They find it hard to comprehend and write. They often develop Dysarthia. This is when they know the right word in their mind but they are unable to say it clearly.
- Stroke patients are unintentionally unaware of any sensations they might feel on one side of the body opposite of the damaged brain.
- They experience painful or odd sensations
- Their memory, thinking and attention decrease dramatically
- They cannot swallow properly
- Bowel and bladder control will become a problem
- Fatigue will be a common occurrence
- They can no longer control their emotions
- Stroke patients often succumb to depression
- They can no longer perform any daily tasks or hobbies they have before the stroke happened
There are several types of rehabilitation programs available for those patients or loved ones looking for successful stroke recovery. a patient can opt going to the hospital, nursing home, home health service or rehabilitation specialists. A patient’s doctor and the patient’s loved ones must consider the right type of need for the patient’s situation since not all are created the same. It is important to remember that people who suffered from stroke one time is definitely still at risk of having another one, especially after the first year of the first stroke. People smoking, living a sedentary lifestyle, are obese, are in old age and those with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and high cholesterol are highly at risk in having another stroke scenario.
Though there are stroke risk factors that cannot be changed, the patient can still move forward and live a healthy lifestyle. Simply changing bad habits such as smoking could lead to a healthier heart and body.